2022 Minto US Open Pickleball Championships
The US Open Championship is always a special event, no matter your favorite sport. For pickleball, all eyes turn to Naples this April, and we cannot wait for the leading tournament of the year.
What is pickleball?
If you already know and love pickleball, you can skip this section and get to the more interesting parts. But we know many people are yet to learn about the excitement and fun of pickleball.
Pickleball is a game with simple rules for people of all skill levels and ages. Its similarity to other racquet and ball games means players are instantly familiar with the sport. Of course, the unique touches make this a sport like no other!
It is a game for two or four players, offering social and health benefits. Pickleball is a fast-moving sport, and its popularity is growing even faster across the US.
Pickleball is the perfect way for players to stay not only physically fit but mentally fit. Since pickleball is such a social sport, with doubles play, the more popular style, a person can play as much as they want.
Naples is the pickleball capital of the world
Of course, living in Naples, there is a strong chance you already know about the sport. This is because Naples is the pickleball capital of the world! In Naples Pickleball is all the rage! Every new community installs Pickleball courts and the older communities are removing tennis courts to install Pickleball courts.
When does the 2022 Minto US Open Pickleball Championships take place?
While a Kids Day on Friday 22nd April starts the fun, The Minto Championship begins on 23rd April 2022, and we can’t wait.
The US Open is played every year in East Naples bringing in thousands of tourists including players and fans over a 1-week period. There are 65 courts for players ranging from beginner to pro.
Some schedule highlights include:
- Saturday 23rd April – Margaritaville Party in the Park with live music, practice courts and pro clinics
- Sunday 24th April – Singles Day
- Thursday 28th April – Ladies Day
- Friday 29th April – Fruit Smash Friday
- Saturday 30th April – Dick’s Sporting Goods Championship Celebration
The Women’s and Men’s Pro Finals occur between 7:00 and 9:00, and the CBS Sports Network will show them live. If you cannot attend in person, don’t miss a moment of the winning action!
New features for the 2022 Minto US Open Pickleball Championships
If you’ve attended the tournament before, you know what is in store. Yet, some new elements add even more excitement to the tournament this year.
- The Zing Zang Championship Court features new lighting, ensuring it looks even brighter!
- Thanks to games being live-streamed on the new Jumbo Video Wall, you won’t miss a minute of the action in the Fan Zone.
- There is also a new welcome center with restroom facilities, a Pro Shop, a VIP room, and more.
- There is also a new tournament command center, ensuring the event runs smoothly.
Prize money on offer at the 2022 US Open Pickleball Championship
The prize money is a guaranteed $100,000 at the 2022 US Open Pickleball Championship. The money is spread across various events, broken down into the Pro and Senior Pro Events.
You’ll be glad to know the prize money for the Men’s, Women’s and Mixed events are the same. It’s good to see equality for all participants.
The total pay-out associated with the tournament could reach as high as $104,000. There is a $1,000 bonus available to anyone who claims a Triple Crown! The Triple Crown is when a man or woman, Pro or Senior Pro level, wins the Singles, Doubles and Mixed Doubles event. Anyone achieving this feat picks up the bonus prize money on top of the standard pay-out.
Why pickleball events are great
If you’re still on the fence about attending the event, the following tips will have you counting down the days:
- There is a lively and friendly atmosphere
- You have the chance to relax and socialize with friends
- You’ll enjoy high-quality pickleball action from some of the leading pros in the country
- You can learn a lot about the game, speak with professionals, and pick up pickleball equipment
Whether you play or watch pickleball, this tournament is a big annual highlight in Naples. The Racquet Sports Industry Magazine named the 2021 Minto US Open Pickleball Championship, as its tournament of the year. With the 2022 edition set to be even bigger and better, you won’t want to miss out on all the action.
What do you need to make the most of the pickleball event in Naples?
The most important thing to bring is yourself, and an expectation of a great day! Of course, we appreciate many people like to plan their activities, so take note of these points:
- You can bring in a portable chair if required. There are bleachers throughout the grounds, but the days are long at the US Open. If you need more support, you are free to bring your own.
- You’re allowed to bring coolers in, but you cannot bring in alcohol or glass bottles. There is food and drink available on-site, including alcoholic beverages.
- It’s always best to take care in the sun, and you should bring sunscreen, a hat or umbrella to keep covered.
- Please note that many food vendors, and the beer garden, only accept cash, so come prepared! If you forget, there is an ATM on-site, but there might be long queues.
- Your four-legged friend doesn’t have to miss out, they can enjoy the park area. Dog owners should keep their pets on a leash and pick up after them if required.
- Be sure to bring waterproof clothing, as this is an outdoor tournament. The inclement weather policy states organizers will do what they can to play matches. This might see games moved to another day.
The center is a pickleball hub all year round
Did you know there are 80 courts associated with the Naples Pickleball Center? This includes 66 courts in East Naples Community Park and a further 14 at Veterans Park. This is excellent news because there is always space to drop in and play.
Members can borrow equipment for free, and if you are dropping in without a membership, it is only $5 to hire a paddle. Skill and drill sessions will help you hone your pickleball talents. These are available for all skill levels, alongside private and semi-private lessons.
From five reviews on Google, the Naples Pickleball Center has a score of 4.8. This lofty mark includes four “five-star” reviews. Whether you are a casual player or want to take your play to the next level, you can do so right here.
Does the US Open impact the local area?
It is great to see special events like this in Naples, but we know some residents have concerns about so many people coming to the area. Thankfully, a lot of work takes place to minimize impact for residents.
There is ample parking at the East Naples venue, even for the US Open.
You’ll find for the US Open, the police direct traffic, smoothing the process of getting around.
There will also be buses or golf carts transporting people who have parked a distance, so accessing the event is simple!
Look forward to the US Open Championship
You can enjoy pickleball at any time in Naples, and locals love it. Yet, for real excitement, clear your schedule for the 2022 Minto US Open Pickleball Championships.
- The Benefits of Private vs. Public Beaches in Naples, Florida - August 20, 2023
- Premier Golf Courses in Midwest: A Naples Golfers Journey - August 10, 2023
- The Pros & Cons of a Pelican Bay Investment Property - June 20, 2023